Engineering & Transportation
Engineering provides project management services for the planning, design, and construction of public facilities. Water conservation, contract administration, and construction inspection are also areas of responsibility of the division.
Sanitary Sewer Master Plan
October 5, 2011
This document provides a comprehensive Sanitary Sewer Master plan update for the City of Salinas, based on the City’s 2002 General Plan, development planning, and preliminary planning information from the current housing element update.
The master plan includes development of a city wide sanitary sewer system model (10-inch and greater diameter) for existing and projected future development, development of wastewater flow projections, use of the model to identify and analyze required improvements, and development of capital improvement program recommendations based on the analysis results.
Stormwater Standard Plans (SWSPs)
April 9, 2014
The Stormwater Standard Plans were prepared by the Salinas Permit Center Community and Economic Development Department, Engineering Services Section, based on the Low Impact Development Initiative (LIDI) Standard Details, City of Portland, Oregon Stormwater Management Manual Typical Details and City of Salinas Permit Center Engineering Section produced details. They are to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of the City of Salinas Stormwater Development Standards (SWDS) and the latest edition of the City of Salinas Standard Specifications, Design Standards and Standard Plans. Designers shall consult with the project (record) geotechnical and civil engineer for review and use of these Standard Plans, clearances to structures, need for/extent of liners, subdrains, storm drain connections and similar appurtenances. Users shall also take care to isolate utility and pipe backfill from infiltration from Post Construction Best Management Practices so the filtered stormwater does not follow trenches (i.e. sand and/or aggregate backfill) into utility and/or other structures. Regardless of site infiltration rate, all projects will be required to filter storm water on site using biofiltration methods (Post-Construction Best Management Practices or PCBMPs) with infiltration through underlying soils being the preferred method. Every effort shall be made, to the Maximum Extent Practicable (MEP), to infiltrate stormwater on site unless alternative means are approved in accordance with the City’s NPDES Permit requirements. PDFs of signed SWSPs should be used for plan submittal.
SWSPs - Native File Format
- Stormwater Standard Plans 10-18.dwg
- Stormwater Standard Plans 22-26.dwg
- Stormwater Standard Plans 27-30.dwg
- Stormwater Standard Plans 31A-50.dwg
- Stormwater Standard Plans 100-150.dwg
Stormwater Development Standards
July 15, 2013
Applicants shall arrange a pre-application meeting with the City of Salinas Permit and Inspection Services Division--Engineering Section (831-758-7251) prior to submitting formal applications for permits to obtain a preliminary project review. This process is mandated by the City of Salinas NPDES Permit to ensure all projects have been designed in accordance with the applicable version of the City of Salinas Stormwater Development Standards (SWDS) and include acceptable Low Impact Development features and Construction and Post-Construction Best Management Practices in compliance with the SWDS. Please review the documents titled “Guidance for Determining Which Version of Salinas’ Stormwater Development Standards (SWDS) Apply/Govern” and the applicable version of the SWDS prior to meeting with City staff. Those projects which complete the pre-application meeting process have historically been proven to gain approval with the minimum number of repeat application submittals and have the lowest design and construction costs related to SWDS compliance for similar projects.
- Guidance for Determining Which Version of Salinas' Stormwater Development Standards (SWDS) Apply/Govern(pdf, 85 kb)
- 2013 Salinas Storm Water Development Standards (pdf, 9.38 MB)
- Threshold Determination and Design Spreadsheet (pdf, 566 kb)
- Template for the SWCP (pdf, 38 kb)
- *** Contact Permit Center Engineering at 831-758-7251 for native format files
- Guidance Memo for the Use of the April 2010Salinas Storm Water Development Standards(pdf, 190 kb)
- April 2010 Stormwater Development Standards, Sections 1 to 5 (pdf, 7.8 MB)
- Appendix A: City of Salinas Stormwater Ordinance (pdf, 8.79 kb)
- Appendix B: City of Salinas Grading Standards (pdf, 1.43 MB)
- Appendix C: Salinas 2012 NPDES Stormwater Permit (pdf, 2.45 MB)
- Appendix D: Guidance for Preparing a Stormwater Control Plan (pdf, 383 kb)
- Appendix E: Sizing Examples (pdf, 10 kb)
- Appendix F: Maintenance Agreement Boilerplate (pdf, 36 kb)
- Appendix G: Salinas LID Plant List(pdf, 258 kb)
- Appendix H: BASMAA Site Design Techniques Guidance (pdf, 147 kb)
- CASQA Development Handbook (pdf, 6.63 MB)
* If this file is too large, please visit the CASQA web site.
- Salinas Storm Water Master Plan - May 2004 (pdf, 11.4 MB)