Permit & Inspection Services
The Community and Economic Development Department (CEDD) administers the City's code enforcement program for substandard housing, zoning code violations, and dangerous building complaints. Permit Services, a Division of CEDD, provides inspection services for new subdivisions and public improvements on private property including conformance with the State's General Construction Permit requirements. Permit Services-Engineering Services also provides twice yearly inspections of stormwater Post-Construction Best Management Practices (PCBMPs) and administers reviews for conformance of private development with the City's National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permit requirements, the City's Stormwater Development Standards (SWDS) and City Public Works Standards.
The Permit Services division provides access to building records, reports for the sale of residential property, and issues building permits, grading permits, permits for street vendors, banners, and encroachments into the public right-of-way.
Informational Bulletins and Code Interpretations are designed to assist the public in understanding City Code requirements which are provided for various projects.
Permit Center TV, on display daily in the Permit Center and updated monthly, provides visitors with information on:
- Permit Center (business hours for certain services and contact information)
- Notices of Available New Information, Salinas Valley Enterprise Zone (reduce your business tax burden)
- New Salinas projects (proposed or under construction)
- General Building Permit Information (submittals and applicable codes)
- Efficient Landscape Model Water Ordinance (landscaping restrictions)
- Building Permit Statistics
- Encroachment Permit Application Procedures
- Vendor Permit Program Requirements
- Code Enforcement Program
- Yard/Garage Sales
- Graffiti Abatement Program
- General Stormwater (NPDES/SWPPP) Program Guidance (complete brochures at bottom of this page)
- Consumer Protection Information (such as agency contacts and 10 Tips for Hiring a Contractor) Take a minute to scroll through the presentation before proceeding further and see if the information you need is contained therein.
* Permits and Inspection Services may be requested by fax.
This form must be filed for most construction projects. View the Building Code Requirements and Exemptions section to determine if a permit is needed.
A submittal checklist is required when starting new commercial construction.
A submittal checklist is required when doing commercial alterations.
A submittal checklist is required when doing new residential construction.
A submittal checklist is required when doing residential alterations.
Describes procedures for enabling contractors to use faxed permit applications instead of mailing or hand-carrying them to the Permit Center.
This form authorizes the City to accept faxed permit applications from a contractor.
Ask us to do a permit search of our records.
Use this application if you want to make revisions to existing property.
Use this form to request a permit for demolition.
A report of Residential Building Records is required by City ordinance to be delivered to the buyer prior to entering into an agreement of sale or exchange of any residential building in the City of Salinas. The attached version of the application may be faxed with credit card information, mailed with a check, or payment may be processed in person.
The following handouts are available for download, as well as from the customer service desk of the Permit Center. Some of these handouts are intended to be tri-folded and will not read from left-to-right in their printed form. To view the desired effect, you will need to fold the documents appropriately.
- Conversion of Single Family Dwelling to Use as Offices (pdf, 97 kb)
- Emergency Family Housing (pdf, 78 kb)
- Garage Conversion Checklist (pdf, 112 kb)
- Handyman Handout (pdf, 126 kb)
- Introduction to the Building Inspection Division (pdf, 152 kb)
- Owner Builder Information (pdf, 89 kb)
- Special Events Permit Information (pdf, 99 kb)
- Title 24 (pdf, 74 kb)
- What You Should Know Before Hiring a Contractor (pdf, 141 kb)
- When Do I Need a Permit? (pdf, 110 kb)
Stormwater Best Management Practice (BMP) Brochures
Please refer to these brochures for how to properly perform different activities and not contaminate stormwater and for general information on the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) and available informational resources.
- Auto Repair - Car Washing (pdf, 91 kb)
- Equipment Rental (pdf, 86 kb)
- Food Service (pdf, 85 kb)
- Fresh Concrete and Mortar Application (pdf, 105 kb)
- General Construction and Site Supervision (pdf, 94 kb)
- Heavy Equipment and Earthmoving Activities (pdf, 92 kb)
- Home Repair and Remodeling (pdf, 82 kb)
- Landscaping, Gardening and Pest Control (pdf, 85 kb)
- Mobile Washers and Cleaners (pdf, 73 kb)
- Painting (pdf, 74 kb)
- Roadwork and Paving (pdf, 86 kb)
- SWDS Compliance for Single Family Homes (pdf, 394 kb)
- Swimming Pool, Jacuzzi and Fountain Maintenance (pdf, 73 kb)
- Low Impact Development (pdf, 212 kb)
- NPDES - Available Resources (pdf, 160 kb)