Permit & Inspection Services
Salinas, California 93901
(831) 758-7251 Inspection Line
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
The Community Development Department (CDD) administers the City's code enforcement program for substandard housing, zoning code violations, and dangerous building complaints. Permit Services, a Division of CDD, provides inspection services for new subdivisions and improvements on private property including conformance with the State's General Construction Permit requirements.
The Permit Services division provides access to building records, reports for the sale of residential property, and issues building permits, grading permits, permits for street vendors, banners, and encroachments into the public right-of-way.
Informational Bulletins and Code Interpretations are designed to assist the public in understanding City Code requirements which are provided for various projects.
* Permits and Inspection Services are now available online.
This form must be filed for most construction projects. View the Building Code Requirements and Exemptions section to determine if a permit is needed.
A submittal checklist is required when starting new commercial construction.
A submittal checklist is required when doing commercial alterations.
A submittal checklist is required when doing new residential construction.
A submittal checklist is required when doing residential alterations.
Describes procedures for enabling contractors to use faxed permit applications instead of mailing or hand-carrying them to the Permit Center.
This form authorizes the City to accept faxed permit applications from a contractor.
Ask us to do a permit search of our records.
Use this form to request a permit for demolition.
A report of Residential Building Records is required by City ordinance to be delivered to the buyer prior to entering into an agreement of sale or exchange of any residential building in the City of Salinas. The application may be faxed with credit card information, mailed with a check, or payment may be processed in person.
The following handouts are available for download, as well as from the customer service desk of the Permit Center. Some of these handouts are intended to be tri-folded and will not read from left-to-right in their printed form. To view the desired effect, you will need to fold the documents appropriately.
- Handyman Handout (pdf, 126 kb)
- Introduction to the Building Inspection Division (pdf, 152 kb)
- Owner Builder Information (pdf, 89 kb)
- Title 24 (pdf, 74 kb)
- What You Should Know Before Hiring a Contractor (pdf, 141 kb)
- When Do I Need a Permit? (pdf, 110 kb)
- C&D Recycling Guide (pdf, 1 MB)
- C&D Flyer for Contractors (English/Spanish) (pdf, 466 kb)
Stormwater Best Management Practice
The best management practices linked below provide useful Information on how you can protect water quality near your job site or home. This series of brochures can be printed to ensure city and state regulations are met. Additional information on stormwater can be obtained here.
- Auto Repair-Car Washing BMP Brochure
- Equipment Rental BMP Brochure
- Equipment Rental BMP Brochure (En Espanol)
- Food Service BMP Brochure
- Fresh Concrete and Mortar Application BMP Brochure
- General Construction and Site Supervision BMP Brochure
- Heavy Equipment & Earthmoving activities BMP Brochure
- Home Repair and Remodeling BMP Brochure
- Landscaping Gardening & Pest Control BMP Brochure
- Lawn and Pool Replacement Materials BMP Brochure
- SWDS Compliance for Single Family Homes Brochure
- Swimming Pool, Jacuzzi and Fountain Maintenance BMP Brochure
- General LID-SWDS Brochure
- General NPDES Brochure for Public
- Illicit Discharge Brochure
- LID-SWDS Brochure Handout