Businesses (unless excluded under the Salinas Municipal Code - Chapter 19) operating within the City limits of Salinas are required to have a business license, including businesses which operate from the home. The business license tax is one of the primary sources of revenue for the City. Section 19 of the Salinas Municipal codes states in part: "...It shall be unlawful for any person to do business within the City of Salinas without first having procured a license…"
For questions concerning the City of Salinas Business License fee, please call the City's Finance Department at (831) 758-7211.
The business license application requires the applicant’s original signature and may be mailed to the Finance Department at 200 Lincoln Avenue, Salinas, Ca 93901 or filed in person. If you are applying by mail, please call (831) 758-7211 for the correct license fee
- Business License (pdf, 51 kb)
Business License Ordinance
The City’s Business License Ordinance is in Chapter 19 of the Salinas Municipal Code.
Locating Your Business
The City of Salinas has established various zoning regulations which control the location and operation of all commercial activities. We suggest to check with the Planning staff in the Permit & Inspection Services office before signing lease agreements or purchasing commercial property. For more information, contact the Planning staff in the Permit & Inspection Services at (831) 758-7206.
The owners of a business who use a fictitious name (one other than his/her own name) for their business must clear the fictitious name through the Monterey County Clerk’s Office 168 West Alisal Street, Salinas, CA 93901, (831) 755-5450.
State Identification Number
Businesses are required to obtain a State Identification Number to report employee taxes to the State, 1-800-338-0505.
Federal Employer Identification Number
A Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) may be obtained from the Internal Revenue Service 1-800-829-3676.
A Seller’s Permit Number is required for all persons selling tangible property which is subject to State Sales and Use Tax. A Seller’s Permit may be obtained from the State Board of Equalization 111 Navajo Drive, Suite 100, Salinas, Ca 93906, (831) 443-3003.
Filing Your Business License Application
A standard application form is used for all businesses. Please complete only applicable information. All applications must include either the FEIN or Social Security Number as your tax identification number. Contractors must also include their State Contractors License Number. Applications for all businesses involving food must be accompanied by a valid health permit. Retail businesses will need to provide a seller’s permit number. Home based businesses located within the City limits will also need a home occupation permit, which is issued by the Planning Department. You may request to have your business license mailed to a post office box, but a specific street address is required for the
Type of Business
Be specific in your description of the type of business. For example, if you are a consultant, list the field(s) of expertise. If you own a mail-order firm, please list the type of products sold.
- Sole Proprietor: A business owned by a single person.
- Partnership: Two or more persons who are co-owners of the business.
- Corporation: An independent legal and tax entity which remains intact even if its officers and directors change.
- Non-Profit: Must be recognized by the IRS as an exempt entity and must provide supporting documentation.
This general information is provided to assist you in obtaining a business license from the City of Salinas. Should you have questions or require additional information, please contact the City’s Finance Department, 200 Lincoln Avenue, Salinas, Ca, 93901 or by telephone at (831) 758-7211.
- Be sure to SIGN and DATE your application.
- Licenses are not transferable. If you sell your business, it is your responsibility to notify this office so your license may be closed. The new owner must apply for a new license in his/her name.
- Please notify this office in writing if you move and/or have a name change. If you need a corrected license or duplicate license, please remit $21.00 for a replacement license.
- The application must be complete with Federal Employer Identification Number or Social Security Number. Retailers must supply their Seller’s Permit Number and contractors must supply their State Contractors License Number.
The following agencies provide permits and assistance in obtaining a City of Salinas business license.
Salinas Valley Chamber of Commerce
119 E. Alisal Street, Salinas, Ca 93901, (831) 751-7725
Monterey County Health Department
1270 Natividad Road, Room 301, Salinas, Ca 93906, (831) 755-4505
State Board of Equalization
111 Navajo Drive, Suite 100, Salinas, Ca 93906, (831) 443-3003
Fictitious Name Filing
Monterey County Clerks Office
168 West Alisal Street, 3rd Floor West Wing, Salinas, Ca 93901 (831) 755-5450