Español Español

Police Department

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Where do I obtain a copy of a police crime or accident report?
A. Copies of these reports can be obtained at the Police Department information counter, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. or Saturday & Sunday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.


Q. What do I do if I think a car in my neighborhood is abandoned?
A. The City of Salinas has people specifically designated to handle abandoned vehicles and long-term parking problems. These problems are generally handled on a complaint basis. You can e-mail your complaint to the Abandoned Vehicle Office. The abandoned vehicle office hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. The phone number, day or night, is (831) 758-7316.


Q. Can I drink alcohol while walking down a city street in Salinas?
A. No, it is illegal to drink any beverage which contains alcohol while on public property.


Q. What can I do about barking dogs in my neighborhood?
A. The Salinas Municipal Code external link states it is illegal to allow an animal to create a noise which is so annoying, or which is so harsh or prolonged, as to be injurious to the health, peace or comfort of any reasonable person residing in the area (21A-2 SCC). If you are unable to resolve the issue between yourself and your neighbor, depending on the circumstances, you may call Salinas Animal Services or the Salinas Police Department's non-emergency number, (831) 758-7321 for assistance.


Q. What can I do about noisy neighbors?
When deciding whether to call the police you must also decide whether the noise is at a level that your peace is being disturbed. If it is, you next need to decide whether you would be willing to press formal charges in order to get the noise to stop or be turned down to a tolerable level. If someone is having a loud party in your neighborhood you may call the Salinas Police Department's non-emergency number, (831) 758-7321 for assistance.